Oct 12, 2009

the seemingly idle tale...

I guess that this really should be an embarrassing thing but I just finally finished reading the gospel of Luke (in it's entirety) for the first time in my life today. I was reading the last chapter, just a little bit ago and this one particular section jumped out at me.
but these words seemed to them an idle tale, (Luke 24:11a)
WOW! Seriously you just got through seeing people healed, the blind see, the deaf hear, the lame walk & now you think it's an "idle tale". What more do you need in order to believe that Jesus is not a liar? But WAIT! Don't I do the exact same thing? God shows up and totally bails me out of some particular situation (not to mention loving me & giving me salvation), and I'm all thank you, thank you, thank you. Then later I'm freaking out about something different all over again. Where's my faith, where's my trust, where's all my Sunday school answers, "Oh God loves us & he'll take care of us..." -- In my best religious churchy voice

Why do we say that we love and believe in Jesus? But then we live and act as if it's the biggest idle tale that we've ever heard, "oh yeah that'd be nice." I can't really explain how real this is and how real that I know it is in my heart. Jesus really for real came back to life. He talked to and walked 7 miles with two of the apostles, and they didn't realize that it was him because again they were believing as stated above. Then he revealed himself to them, and then disappeared. So then they did; as i'm sure I would do, they freaked out and ran (the entire 7 miles) back to where the rest of the guys were to tell them all what happened. Then again Jesus shows up, and again they all think it's a ghost. So Jesus has to prove it to them so he says "Have you anything here to eat?" -- i.e. Can I raid your fridge? Coming back to life makes you really hungry. So they hook him up with some broiled fish. Then he explains it all to them about Moses and the prophets and how everything had to play out so that it would all be fulfilled. So then he takes them out to the next town and then he; right in front of them, ascended into heaven. Then finally they start to see it's not so idle.
And they worshiped him and returned to Jerusalem with great joy, and were continually in the temple blessing God. (Luke 24:52,53)
So now they know that it's true and they live in response to the fact that it's true. So I really need to live like I know that it's a fact and that it's so true and not carry on and freak out about each and every little situation that doesn't go according to my plan and is not "ok" by my standard.

If you're not getting what I'm saying or are just confused about what I'm talking about read Luke chapter 23 & 24 then think about this section. Jesus is real and true.

All scripture taken from:
English Standard Version (ESV) Copyright © 2001 by Crossway Bibles.