Nov 29, 2010

Sword vs. Cross

Ok so I am guilty I have a tendency to want to get back at people because as everyone on planet earth knows, “I am the most important person ever, and what i think is right.” You better not cut in line in front of me. You better not cut me off on the highway. Or I'll... (get really mad). So this is what I got slapped with Sunday morning. These are my notes so you can listen to it here if you want.

An Invitation to life in the Kingdom Matt 5:3-12

1. When the law said pick up a sword, Love says pick up the cross.

John 18:36 - Jesus answered, "My kingdom is not of this world. If my kingdom were of this world, my servants would have been fighting, that I might not be delivered over to the Jews. But my kingdom is not from the world."

2. Jesus has not given us what we deserve (the sword) he has given us grace (the cross).

3. 381-382 Constantine mandated that the official religion is Christianity, the next year the first person was murdered in the name of Christ.

Matt 26:52 - Then Jesus said to him, "Put your sword back into its place. For all who take the sword will perish by the sword."

Matt 5:38,39 - "You have heard that it was said, 'An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.' " But I say to you, Do not resist the one who is evil. But if anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also."


4. People are changed inwardly and permanently by the cross, not the sword. The cross opens people up, the sword shuts people down.

5. 3 Types of Sword Bearers.
a. Sword-bearers who take a swing at your worth.
b. Sword-bearers who take a swing at your possessions.
c. Sword-bearers who take a swing at your time, energy, dignity

Matt 5:40-42 - "And if anyone would sue you and take your tunic, let him have your cloak as well. And if anyone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles. Give to the one who begs from you, and do not refuse the one who would borrow from you."

6. This text is not saying that you have to roll over and take everything. This is not saying that if you are in an abusive relationship that is doing you physical harm to stay in it, this would be unwise.

7. The focus of this passage is to lay the sword of retaliation down, let God deal with the other person. Don't continue the cycle of brokenness.

1 Peter 2:21-23 - For to this you have been called, because Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example, so that you might follow in his steps. He committed no sin, neither was deceit found in his mouth. When he was reviled, he did not revile in return; when he suffered, he did not threaten, but continued entrusting himself to him who judges justly.


Wow I know that I am so guilty of forgetting what has been done for me. I know that I need to remember to extend the cross to others, but sometimes I just don't quite make it there. Hopefully these study notes will be a reminder for me.


All scripture taken from:
English Standard Version (ESV) Copyright © 2001 by Crossway Bibles.